What kind of injuries can I be compensated for?

We’ve all heard and read misguided comments concerning personal injury claims, whether in a newspaper, overheard conversations on the train or a taunt about ‘ambulance chasers’ at a party. These harmful perceptions are having a destructive effect and possibly preventing individuals seeking compensation when they have suffered an injury through no fault of their own.

A personal injury can be a physical injury, disease or illness, or a psychological injury or illness.

A few examples of personal injuries are: –

  • Injuries at work, including work-related illnesses such as a disease caused by working with asbestos.
  • Psychological illness caused by stress at work, including discrimination or harassment in the workplace.
  • Injuries sustained in a road traffic accident.
  • Injuries received because of faulty goods or services.
  • Injuries caused by tripping over broken paving stones.
  • Injuries caused by errors in hospital treatment or by vaccinations

What should you do after you’re injured?

  • You may have been taken to the hospital but if not, see your doctor as soon as possible as your injuries could become more serious.
  • Inform the police if, for example, the injury resulted from an RTA.
  • If the injury resulted from an RTA, report it to your insurance company as your insurance policy may be invalid if an accident is not reported.
  • Gather evidence about the accident and injuries. It may be useful to take photographs of the scene of an accident and of what caused the injury. Write an account of the incident while details are still fresh in your mind and ask for contact details of any witnesses.
  • If the accident happened at work, it should be recorded in an accident book. If there isn’t one in your workplace, write out brief details of the accident and injuries, then send them to your employer and keep a copy.

If you then want to take legal action to claim compensation for your personal injury, contact a solicitor specialising in these types of cases. This is very important as solicitors specialising in personal injury claims have the experience and expertise to ensure you are properly compensated. This must be done within 3 years of your accident, but ideally, as soon as you are able.

Contact us on 01425 275555 or visit www.simpkinsand.co.uk to receive your FREE, no-obligation consultation and ask about a no-win, no fee agreement. We are experts in personal injury and clinical negligence compensation claims and members of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel and APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers).


You might also like: